The Valley Regional Enterprise Network (Valley REN) works in collaboration with our municipal and First Nation partners and the Province of Nova Scotia to create a more prosperous Annapolis Valley, through increased business activity and the creation of a better business climate. Our regional partners are Glooscap First Nation, the Municipality of the County of Kings, the Municipality of the District of West Hants, and the Towns of Berwick, Kentville, Middleton, Windsor. Together with the Province, our partners provide oversight to the Valley REN Board of Directors, which is led by the regional business community.
Our Mission:The Valley Regional Enterprise Network’s mission is to lead and enable regional economic growth and prosperity. Serving the Annapolis Valley region as a whole, we are uniquely positioned to objectively address the economic and business development needs of the region as a whole without being confined to municipal boundaries. We are the “boots on the ground,” helping to link the private sector and public organizations around common objectives for regional economic progress.
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Economic Development Officer, Investment Readiness Lead will apply their research, analysis, project management and communications and marketing expertise to enhance the overall mission of the Valley Regional Enterprise Network through evidence-based action. The primary role of this position is to enable the Valley Regional Enterprise Network team to be proactive to position the organization ahead of the curve in its vision and approach as it engages in strategic planning and dynamic, collaborative, partnership-driven initiatives that will create measurable growth in sustainable economic development within the Annapolis Valley region. This position works closely with the Chief Executive Officer and Economic Development Officer, BusinessNOW Lead to provide support to funding partners, stakeholders and businesses by building and delivering resources and solutions to address key areas.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide project leadership, management and best practices.
- Ensure results are measurable and projects are executed and delivered to agreed objectives and timelines.
- Possess strong team, collaboration and relationship building skills and the ability to galvanize internal staff, external partners and suppliers to meet business and project objectives.
Investment Readiness and Research:
- Source and deliver economic reports to the Valley REN team, stakeholders, partners (including municipal staff) and local businesses to support economic development.
- Plan and conduct research to promote the Annapolis Valley region and support investment readiness and attraction.
- Assess business opportunities and develop and implement strategies to attract investments through industry engagement and relationship-building.
- Develop resources and supports that will foster business growth by working with an established network of service providers and stakeholders.
- Lead certain strategic projects or initiatives to gain a deeper understanding of the steps needed to grow the economy of the Annapolis Valley region.
- Oversee, together with the CEO and team, the development of a communications plan.
- Manage and execute the implementation of the communications plan, which will include:
- Prepare thought leadership content to be delivered over the course of the year. The insights of this content would be repurposed in a variety of communications forms
- Develop, co-ordinate or update regional/community/economic/sector profiles
- Prepare daily news scan (to be shared weekly with staff), prepare reports, research papers, articles and blogs for print and web
- Prepare press and media releases, maintain a current media contact list and provide media with information about the Valley REN and significant activities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly skilled relationship builder who is committed to business and economic growth of the Annapolis Valley.
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented person who is a collaborative and strategic thinker.
- Exceptional knowledge of the local business community and trends, available business support programs, and rural economic development.
- Strong verbal, written communication and interpersonal skills; able to read, write and understand government funding program applications, business plans, and financial documents.
- Skilled in research and analysis on industry sectors, markets and development opportunities
- Ability to develop and communicate clear and compelling strategic priorities and work plans.
- Knowledge of local economic sectors and markets, rural/regional economic development practice, local/provincial labour market and business/economic climate.
- Solution focused, ability to understand, assess, and analyze issues to find solutions.
- Ability to analyze trends and make recommendations to CEO.
- Knowledge of key sectors in the region.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff and partners.
- Experience with Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Internet research, use of data analytics.
Flexibility: Willing to work occasional weekends and evenings.
Salary Range: $50,000 – $60,000 per annum
Qualifications and Education: Post-secondary degree, preferably in Business Administration or related field, or a suitable combination of education and experience, such as economic development, project management, research, communications and marketing, business and entrepreneurship. Business consulting and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) experience would be an asset.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until 12:00pm, Tuesday September 3, 2019. We thank applicants in advance for their interest but advise that only those individuals selected will be contacted for an interview. All applications should be sent to email@example.com.